SUMMERTIME BLUES....
Hi everyone, hope you've had a good week - lovely to see you all on the desks again. What have you been getting up to? I'm still picking and choosing my crafting according to what the temperatures are like, The JanCave gets pretty toasty in the afternoons so it's a no go zone!
I've been cutting out and ironing ready for some bags, decided to do the two lots of fishy fabrics:
Bags sides, pockets and straps - I used up two lots of blue spotty so that was pleasing.
I found a watercolour artist Kaye Parmenter on YouTube and had a splashy time:
Two different colourways, they were drying so quickly they weren't as abstract as the original....
So I did my own thing! The green one isn't finished yet, I'll get round to it sometime.
G and I swapped our car recently (for another electric Kia) and we decided to go on a road trip yesterday to put it through its paces. We went over the Western Black Mountains, part of the Brecon Beacons National Park, and my goodness, it was a very parched view of Carmarthenshire from the top...
It's usually lush and verdant greeny green! We stopped for a quick break at Aberglasney, that was showing signs of wear and tear too:
There was more colour close up and humongous amounts of butterflies, we even spotted a Red Admiral, you don't often see them.
The veg garden was colour coordinated! This quadrant was yellow and purple, others were red, orange and blues. It was really fun, even the chard stalks are yellow to tie in with the colour scheme.
We've been walking in the evenings when it's cooler and the main point of interest for the residents of our town has been this:
The harbour had got very silted up recently so it's being dug out - if those guys are entering the Great Sandcastle Contest 2026 then they're cheating lol!!
Hope you're keeping well and happy, have a great week and may your crafting be trouble free xxxxx







19 comments:
Happy WOYWW Jan. Yes, everywhere is looking very brown and dried out. I hope we get some rain soon (overnight obviously, for convenience, and not to get wet going to work or Kew!!) Glad you are enjoying your walks in the cooler evenings. Helen #1
Morning Jan - can't seem to sleep after 5 these warm nights! I'm glad you are managing to craft at least in the cooler part of the day. I need to get my crafting mojo back. I don't seem to have done anything for ages. Lovely photos but. Gosh it is crispy everywhere isn't it. We need a drop of rain soon.x x Jo 🌈
.
It always amazes me how dead the grass looks everywhere and how quickly after a good rain storm is all comes back to life....isn't mature wonderful? It's been cooler for us this week thankfully...makes life easier doesn't it?
Hugs,
Annie x #5
Woops I'm 6 not 5 :-) Annie x
All very dry here Jan and some wild fires in Edinburgh and the Cairngorms. When we were last in Stonehaven earl this year, the harbour there was also being dredged.I’ve done some reupholstery this week with a little help from a friend and his staple gun. Catriona.
No, we’re not on a hosepipe ban as our water comes from aquifers but told to ‘use it wisely’.
I’m glad you’re able to craft in the Jancave. When it gets hot, you could put an ice pack in front of a fan. Your watercolours are beautiful .
Aberglasney was looking lovely but the drought is evident in your view over Carmarthenshire.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 8 xx
Your watercolor came out lovely. It's fun to start with the negative image, and then work your way back to the positive. Congratulations on your new car! I got a hybrid last November, after someone totaled my old car. The mileage is amazing, and so much more economical with today's gas prices. Blessings and Happy WOYWW!
I love the fishy fabric, I'm a bit obsessed with fishy papers at the moment. I love your watercolours, if you spray the paper before adding the colour it will move around more. I think that's what you were trying to do but they look brilliant anyway. Thanks for the lovely photos of your eveniong walk too. Have a great week, hugs Angela x10x
Oh now I'm wondering which blue spotty fabric is being paired with which fishy fabric???? Adore the watercolours might need to look up that artist, not been feeling like much lately and yes the drying time is an issue thanks for sharing. Parched ground is really getting me down, not had rain in a month here. Oh and those diggers, we have 4 out the back and approximately 10 lorries back and forth along the road out the back then out the front in a day and with no rain the dust is horrendous. This is just 6 weeks in of a development going on till 2028 - really losing it. Hugs Bj#7
ooh I love the look of that veg garden, very nice. though as you say the hills and fields are very parched at the moment. The "sand Castle" comp did make me laugh :-) Kyla
Hello Jan, I enjoyed that crack about sandcastles and cheating! We've got a problem with the sand down on our beach too. It's become dangerous to walk on! Love your artwork. Have a great week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #14
Beautiful watercolour!
The fabrics are so pretty too.
So nice to get out and about and see what is happening in the countryside.
Enjoy the weekend…
Happy weekend after WOYWW!
Lovely fishy fabric. Each will make great bags. So sad seeing all the parched land. I remember seeing a "chocolate garden" once, with all the brown plants, but really lush ones, not dried out ones. It was stunning. Hopefully we will get SOME rain this summer!
Mary Anne (5)
Loving those blue fish fabrics Jan. Glad you are enjoying the new card. Some interesting photos too. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah
Can only imagine how toasty it gets in the Jan cave, have always lives the big windows and aspect of your house but yep, good light in other times means hot rooms in sunny times, my workroom is good till about 12 and then it’s a little oven. I didn’t tidy for the craft coffee morning, we sit round the outside table under the awning , the tidying was because I was boring myself making excuses!! Despite the lack of green greens, your landscape still is stunning isn’t it, bet you felt like you were in an advert for your new car travelling through vistas like that! I really
Like Anwrglasny’s idea of coordinating the veg, how imaginative, hope it was as practical as any other way of planting.
Dear Jan! Late - but not too late! Thank you for another weekly insight into your busy work. Nice fabric with the fish! Unfortunately, the grass in our garden is already crispy brown too. And the next heat wave is comming. Thuesday?
Wow! The work on the beach! Stay well! Eva from Austria.
Hi Jan
The sandcastle comment gave me a giggle. Thank you.
Everything in the US is parched and lacking. The only reason my potted garden is doing so well is Bob and I water nearly every evening. We need to go out and do that in a bit.. .in 92*F at 7 p.m. Ugh!
Love your paintings. Something you can do in a cool spot.
Hugs & Creative Blessings! ~ Kelly #15
Love that fishy fabric! But I really loved the photos - makes me very homesick! Happy WOYWW! Susan #9
Sorry you're not feeling well, hope you're better soon. Hugs Angela xXx
Post a Comment