WOYWW 642

 RUB A DUB DUB, THREE MEN IN A TUB

Bit of an odd lyric this week - this old fashioned nursery rhyme popped into my head while I was thinking of a heading, you'll see why later!

I've had quite a productive week craft wise - I restocked the RNLI box and have been making a few more bits and pieces to have ready. And a friend asked if she could have a mask with boaty stuff on as she's just started volunteering in the RNLI shop down the harbour.


I found the template and set to!


There wasn't quite enough of the fishy fabric to the right so I just made the one from the seasidey stuff.


It looks complicated but is actually a really quick mask to make, there's only one fiddly bit and that comes right at the end. I wear a mask like this now, it's easier to breathe and my glasses definitely don't fog up, hurray!

You can just see some pins peeking up from behind the mask, I was given this handmade pincushion by my friend Kim for my birthday, it's so pretty...


...and very useful too! Thanks Kim, it'll get used a lot xx


I've been trying out some painting tutorials as well, some I like, some I don't, it's all trial and error. I need some white ink or gouache to complete the snow scene for a bit of splattering, doncha know!

Mr LLJ has joined a group in the town called Beyond the Shed - it's part of the national Men's Shed but they didn't want to do woodwork particularly, there are two local groups who already do that. This group wanted to be more outdoors so they've been walking, fishing, metal detecting etc and wanted to be useful in the community. So when G informed me he was off to scrub Amelia's bottom, I didn't react.  

Amelia Earhart's plane landed in the estuary just outside our  harbour (they'd been aiming for Ireland but missed!) It made national and international news:

It was an exciting event for this small town and there are various monuments to her. The main memorial had got very mossy and dirty and the information board had seen better days, so the good chaps of Beyond the Shed set to....


I haven't got a Before pic but this is how it looks now, it looks a lot better.


And the sign was cleaned too! So there you go, an adventurous woman is still remembered here, not long to the Centenary, there's bound to be some celebrations for that no doubt. Meanwhile Beyond the Shed will be tackling the Town Clock next.....it's like Last of the Summer Wine, lol!!

Have a good week and thanks for reading my witterings.....


21 comments:

Helen said...

G's Shed group sounds fun! I can see him as Compo now!! Your snowy scenes look beautiful, just ripe for some splattering. Have a great week. Helen #7

Sarah Brennan said...

SOunds like a great group for G to be a part of. They are certainly helping the local area - as do you Jan. Funnily enough that fabric is the mask I am using at work today too. Great watercolouring again! Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #8

Anne said...

I love that mask! Yes it's me. I'm back. Hopefully for a while. Lol I have learned something new from your post. Had not realised that is where Amelia E landed. Well done to your DH and friends for their efforts. Take care. Anne x 10 ( I think, if its linked etc etc :-)

craftyani said...

I spy a few quiz questions in that plaque bet alot of people don't know about her. Love the sea material masks, because we only have to wear in shops now the market seems to have dropped out of making fancy ones. Love the pin cushion better than my jar lid! Have a good week. Ani

Sue said...

Hi Jan, The mask is just right for use in the RNLI shop.

Your paintings are fab.

The pincushion is lovely.

As to your hubby and Amelia's bottom....looks like a grand job as done. It's good that the menfolk have places to go now.


Happy WOYWW
Sue

Lynnecrafts said...

Lovely looking mask, Jan. It must be great to have one with no condensation! Your watercolours are looking good as well!
Well done G for cleaning Amelia’s bottom 😀. B’s Mum was there that day. She was only young, (6, I think) so she mainly remembered being allowed to wear her best patent leather Sunday shoes on a weekday! Thanks for sharing the photo.
Stay safe and happy WOYWW
Love
Lynnecrafts 3

Neet said...

I think I might have a go at one of those masks Jan - if you could provide me with the link that is. Pretty please.
Love that you didn't mind G scrubbing Amelia's bottom - so funny to read!
Your painting is fabulous and if you just want spatters random you can do it with a white pen (Posca is good) and you just tap it whilst holding it over your picture, with something like a small ruler. Have a go first on scrap paper but you will soon get the hang of it.
Hugs, Neet 1 xx
ps I. can send you a pen if you want to try as I use them a lot and buy them in bulk.

Annie said...

Love the mask as I'm sure your friend will too. Well done G for joining his new group and doing good for the comunity....what a lovely pair you are. so proud to call you my friends.
Hugs,
Annie x #13

Marit said...

"... off to scrub Amelia's bottom" ... oh my, you don't want to know what I thought of when I read this, but you have me laughing Jan! Out loud! I like your blue trees, it looks a bit like Blue Dutch tiles (know the kind?) and your pincushion is lovely! I have an oldie from back in the seventies... a chinese one with little chinese men around it 'holding it', I think it's a well known design and I still like it. Thanks for stopping by today, I made good use of my free day and created up a storm, yay! Hope your day is nice too, big hug from Holland. Marit #16

BJ said...

Run a dub Amelia's bottom! LOL I keep meaning to do our road signs, they get so bad! Love the mask shape, do you have a link for it, we might be needing to wear them more come Winter by all accounts! Thanks for the visit. BJ#18

Empire of the Cat said...

I need to make some more masks, would you recommend this style over the others for people with glasses?

If you are looking for ink to splatter, I recommend the Liquitex or Daler Rowney acrylic inks, you can water them down a little too. Amazon has both but they are cheaper elsewhere.

You were asking if I still did craft fairs, unfortunately/fortunately? not, I stopped, it all got a bit much for various reasons but it was fun for a while. I did feel like a one-woman sweatshop at times lol Happy WOYWW! Elle #11 this week

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jan, loving your mask design it's very nice. The pin cushion is gorgeous too. I like your paintings ans would have to add some Stickles Glitter Glue to those gorgeous Christmas trees and make them into cards. I hope your week is full of crafty fun and happy woyww, Angela x5x

Lillianb said...

That G group sounds like that are having fun good for them. Bet they will find lots to do,
Love the mask

Take care and stay safe

Lilian B # 19

Stacy Sheldon said...

oh that is just awesome, that there is a remembrance for this event and I am sure I would have had an eyebrow up in my hairline with a smirk if my hubs had said such a thing to me lol.
I have seen a few people when out and about with masks like that do you know off the top of your head if it has a style /pattern name? ~Stacy #21

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jan, the men's group is a ch a good idea. And it's even better for volunteering to do much needed, but often neglected, jobs like the cleaning of the information board and statue. I did laugh at your mention of Compo. Last of the summer Wine is possibly my favourite comedy series. The face mask does look comfy and it's a bonus that it doesn't fog up spectacles, a problem I have to suffer. The fabric used is lovely. Thanks for your comment. Hugs, Elizabeth x #23

Crafting With Jack said...

Great watercolour painting - Cool Yule! Love your mask design, if I lived near enough I would pop down to the shop and buy a couple! I hat the foggy glasses! Enjoy your weekend Angela #2

Shoshi said...

A lovely busy desk, and some interesting history too, Jan. Thank you for your comment and I'm glad you enjoyed my various activities last week. Sorry for the late visit - trying to catch up after my treatment and now suffering fatigue, which was to be expected.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi x #12

Lindart said...

Hi Jan! Thanks for your visit to mine. It must be so nice to live in a place that has such wonderful history! I wish there was a club like that here for my hubby. He curls every winter, but that ends in the spring. Then he has nothing to do until Fall. The mask is wonderful! Do you have a link to the pattern? My glasses are constantly fogging up. Have a great week, Lindart #20

Mary Anne said...

Because I am SOOOOO late, I thought at first you were way ahead for this week! I love your snow scene, and agree white spatters will top it all of. Are they your Christmas cards? If not, they should be!

Happy WOYWW, so very late!
Mary Anne (9)

Eva said...

Oh what a busy week!
The nice face mask. I always think I have to try this pattern!
The lovely painting. Do you need them for X-Mas?
In Austria we know the story about Amelia Earhart.
Have a good week!
Best wishes from Eva/Austria

SusanLotus said...

Nice mask!
The needle pad is very nice

Sorry I´m late visiting.
Stay safe and happy!
:) Sussie

WOYWW 769

 WE'LL MEET AGAIN.... I'm going to take a break from blogging for a while - please don't worry, all is ok! - think I just need a...