WOYWW 530

THE INK IS BLACK, THE PAGE IS WHITE...

Well, I guess the best way to start off today is to tell you that Bert the Chimney Sweep came first in the competition last week - yay, I was very happy with that. Don't know if any more doll making is on the horizon though, it's not really my thing!

Take a good gander at the JanCave today as it's going to be derigged for a couple of weeks. We have some guys in to refit the main bathroom and they need somewhere to store the gubbins, the JanCave is next door so it seemed the obvious choice really. I shall relocate downstairs or to the guest bedroom when my son has gone back to Reading.

It's all monochrome this week! Can you spot the black and white sprigged fabric you passed on to me at the Crop Neet?  It's become a go-to for something different, especially when paired with the black and white polka dot. I've got a fabric basket in progress here....

The combo just works....

The usual glasses cases to restock at the cafe cos they're selling like hot cakes....

And this is what the basket was destined for:

A receptacle for keeping my crochet squares together!

It's been gorgeous weather here but thankfully not as hot as the folks in the south-east had it - Saturday saw the annual raft race held down the harbour. There's nothing much to it really but it's great fun and a good time was had by all:

The rafts are all put together by teams and start in the west harbour, making their way under the bridge to the main marina... we cheered on those six people on the tiny raft, they did really well!

After going up to the yellow marker buoy, they then returned to the finish line at the bridge. You can see the small D class lifeboat waiting to help!

The LBS (Llanelli Building Supplies) team were well organised with good face paint and purple smoke on the way back! They were the eventual winners..

The Tooth Fairies team (from my local dental surgery!) looked great but found it hard work, bless them...

And this team needed a little help to get back to the finish!! There was lots going on down there and it was a fab community day out.

Thanks for reading - I may or may not post next week, depends on what crafting I get done. I'm off with my brass band to compete in the National Eisteddfod in North Wales on Saturday. Wish us luck!

24 comments:

Helen said...

good luck indeed!! hopefully there will be photos.
the raft race looks great fun -I bet they were glad the air temp wasn't 38c lol loving the black and white fabric combo. Have a great week Helen #?

Neet said...

Well, first and foremost it has to be "Good Luck". Here's hoping you do well but it is the taking part that counts isn't it?
Nope, if you hadn't reminded me of that fabric I would have forgotten all about it.Looks good in that basket. Glad it came into some use rather than the skirt I bought it for - a non-starter I can assure you.
Gosh, that looks like a real fun day down on the water. Fab shots and well done to the winning team.
Have a good week - hope we DO see you next week.
Hugs, Neet 1 xx

Sarah Brennan said...

Ooh good luck on Saturday Jan! Love the monochrome both in glasses cases and that magnificent basket. The raft race looked fun! Happy WOYWW. Sarah #9

Crafting Queen said...

Just love that basket!! Great photos. Have a great day. Anesha x

Annie said...

I'm taking a quick break from cutting squares for my quilt and enjoying a coffee while I catch up on a few of my favourite blogs.
Love the black/white combo Jan and that raft race looks a lot of fun.
Hugs,
Annie x #10

Glenda said...

I actually drug out my sewing machine this week and bought some new needles for her! I'm wanting to begin work on a quilt soon and will be needing her to sew the squares if I ever get one finished! LOL...
Glenda #17

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

The monochrome bag brings out the colours in the wool - it looks great! The raft race must have been so much fun. I notice some rafts had up to 8 people and others only 4! I would have rooted for the tooth fairies - lots of dedication there with the costumes, especially on the part of the male participants LOL. Lots of luck with the brass band competition - show them how its done! zsuzsa #16

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

PS. Congrats on Bert! I wasn't around last week, so I didn't know what you were on about but I scrolled down and it all became clear! Perhaps doll-making is your thing after all!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Whoah, National Eisteddfod, wow Jan that’s such an accomplishment, hope it goes really well for you all.. is that the one at Llangollen? I seem to recall there was one there, for summat!? When visited there, such a pretty place, with family...
Love the material Neet gave you too, Jana, very pretty and great combo. Well done on scarecrow and loved the pickles of the boat race, what fun!
Happy WOYWW. Thanks for sharing, Shaz in Oz.x #19

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Marit said...

I scrolled down to see Bert the doll because last week was too hot to blog and I missed that post... love the little guy! Those black and white fabric is lovely and the photos of the raft race are fun to see, especially with your explanations with it. Happy woyww and a big hug from Holland, Marit #15

Catriona said...

Very sophisticated colour schemeand I really like the yarn basket. Good luck with the new bathroom installation and hope you’ll guve us a peek of the finished room.

Claire said...

Even after all this time (12 years since stroke), monochrome patterns still make my head spin.... I certainly couldn't work with those fabrics!
You are wonderfully creative though :)
Happy WOYWW :)
Claire, no. 2

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I love those fabrics, they just work so well together. Oh what fun watching the raft race but not sure I would want to join in Lol! Whatever you are do today have a lovely woyww, Angela x13x

StampinCarol said...

Hope all the bathroom work goes fast, smooth, and done well!
Great fabric combo! Glad that your glass cases are selling so well!
And the basket, WOW!
Enjoyed the photos of the raft race. Looks like great fun!
Thanks for popping by and see you next time!
Carol N #20

Anne said...

The raft race looks like lots of fun. Like the basket you made! Well done re Bert! You did a great job! Talk of bathrooms brings back memories of last year and ours. They did a great job but I hated it being done. Hope we see you next week. Anne x 12

Jan said...

Happy WOYWW #530 great desk you have been very busy! xx Jan (21)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Whoop Whoop to Bert for charming his way into the hearts of those judges & coming first place. he won me over at first glance ;)
Fab contrast match with that fabric Jan, monochrome is so classy.
I hope you will soon be back in your Jancave and those workmen do not dusty it up too much. It will be worth it when you have a sparkly new bathroom etc..
Looks like those rafters had a great time.. perfect weather for it too.
Have a great time this weekend WoywW Hugs Tracey #14

Twiglet said...

I love the monochrome colourway Jan - so chic! Great photos of the fun at the boat race. Good job RNLI were available too! xx Jo

shazsilverwolf said...

Hiya Jan, and Huge amounts of Good Luck! And Happy Birthday for today! Loving the B&W theme you got going! Great photos of the raft race, fab day out I'm sure. Really late this week, spent most of yesterday afternoon in A&E, as the breathlessness wasn't easing off. They gave me IV Antibiotics & steroids, and some nebulisers, which has helped, but it's still not what it should be. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4X

Christine said...

What a super time!!! Love the raft races, any sort of stupid race actually, soap boxes included!! Great British spirit at its best.
Enjoy the Eistedfford (whatever!) PJ's gggg grandad won it for his poetry way back....
Have a super week
Christine #23
BTW Happy B'day! xxxx

Dorlene Durham said...

Great photos of the raft race. So fun. I love the little basket you made with the black/white fabric. Have a great week. Dorlene #22

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Congratulations on your winning doll, Bert the Chimney Sweep! As usual, that's anotrer great looking bag you have made. Happy belated WOYWW! #24

Shoshi said...

Great post as usual, Jan! I adore both black and white fabrics - and they go so well together! You've made a great bag there for your crochet stuff. The raft race looks fun (although I prefer terra firma to being on any sort of boat unless it's a cruise ship!). Hope the band competition goes well. Thank you for your visit. You are right - Lily and Ruby are always up to something! We have so much fun with them. As for the teabag stains, I haven't seen anyone else doing it either, so I think I can safely say I invented the technique myself!!

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #18

sandra de said...

What a wonderful community event and of course gorgeous craft. First in the competition would have to be a blue ribbon award ... well done even if it's not your thing. Have a lovely weekend.

WOYWW 769

 WE'LL MEET AGAIN.... I'm going to take a break from blogging for a while - please don't worry, all is ok! - think I just need a...