WOYWW 891

 IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE...

Hi everyone, the first of July is here and where has the year gone, that's what I'd like to know! Whoosh, that's where... It's still good to meet up on a Wednesday and see how all my friends are doing, the week would seem wrong without it lol!

I've had square eyes this week (all doing ok after the op and the use of soothing drops has really helped my dry eye in all the heat/dust/pollen etc etc) because of this:


I was told that I couldn't bend over until the four weeks were over so the usual method of laying out the quilt squares wasn't going to happen. So I put them in a pile and thought I'd do random. Hah, like THAT was going to happen.... As each square was put next to the row I'd do it one way first:


...and then invert it (the square on the right is the one in question)


...and see which way I liked it best. So it was nearly random but not quite!! *grin*  Anyway it was a quick method of sewing them up and I put them together with the backing on my dining table for my most disliked part of the process, the pinning together of all the layers...like pulling teeth...


I had sorted out the squares into a cooler group..


..and a brighter one. There are places where I could have changed things up but hey, that's life!

As the weather's been cooler, I've continued expanding my prickle of hedgehogs:


I've run out of black for the features so am waiting for a parcel to arrive today. These are quite sparkly and fun but I still prefer the browny coloured ones. Worth an experiment for the £2 it cost for the yarn!

Hope you have a great week and enjoy your crafting xxxx

16 comments:

Helen said...

well done on managing the quilting without bending over! (am wondering what happens to your eyes if you do bend over.... best not to try!) I love your sparkly hedgehogs, they're such fun (even without features!) Happy WOYWW Helen #1

BJ said...

Wow those quilts are cool and without bending over too, well done you. Glad of a few cooler days until the next heatwave strikes Monday! Hugs Bj#5

Twiglet said...

Your quilts are fab Jan - I love the colour combos - both are stunning I had a little chuckle about you not being able to bend over for a month - I can see why and I'm glad your eyes are fine - but I still chuckled😉x x Jo 🌈

Annie said...

I really love the quilts Jan...well done you for managing them without bending. You get the colours just perfect. I'm loving the cooler temps too.
Hugs,
Annie x #9

ukmaryanne said...

Happy I'm-hosting-knitting WOYWW!
Can't believe you managed all that after your op! And the white hedgehogs are adorable too, but the first ones still my faves too.
Mary Anne (2)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I love your patchwork it's a similar effect to how I use up left over patterned paper. I never though before but maybe without knowing that's where the idea came from, it was somewhere in the back of my little brain Lol! Love the hedgehogs too. Wishing you a very happy woyww, Angela x10x

Anonymous said...

Well done Jan on managing to keep crafting. I am going to shorten 3 pairs of trousers today-a much disliked task which will involve bad words! Catriona

Crafting With Jack said...

Great quilting and sweet hedgehogs. I prefer the brown ones too, but was thinking if you could get some tiny glasses you could have an older generation of hedgehogs 🤣. Hugs Angela #13

Lynnecrafts said...

Your quilts look fab, you always have a good eye for colour and there are some custom mets who will like both types of your cute hedgehogs. 😀
Thanks for signing me in, Jan. We almost got away early but a couple of last minute searches took a while. We’re on the train now, noticing the differences and realising it’s 29 years since I left! There are so many here now that weren’t even born then. A version of my on-board safety announcement still exists, though vaping has been invented since., and has also to be banned.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 4 xx

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad your eyes continue to recover and that the drops are helping. The ingenuity of crafters never fails to amaze me, especially when, as you clearly are, they are determined to keep creating no matter what. The patchwork quilts are fabulous. So colourful. I prefer the brown hedgehogs too but the white ones are also cute.. That's half the year gone and, like you, I feel it has flown by. Summer will be over before we know it. What a thought. Have a great week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #15

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Beautiful! Now that is a true artist, finding ways to stay creative, even when you have physical obstacles. That's what Frida Kahlo did, as she figured out how to paint while laying down. BTW, my absolute favorite is the brighter one. Happy WOYWW!

Eva said...

Dear Jan! Wow - those quilts look georgeous! I'm curious to see what they look like when finished. The hedgehogs are cuties. Have a nice evening! Hubby and I are watching TV. Football. Austria : Spain. May the force be with us! :) Eva

Julia Dunnit said...

Am very late to this weeks party. Wow that quilt looks fab, specially as you had to be a little non specific about the layout of the squares, I think it really adds to the geometric ness of the pattern actually. I’m with you about the browny hedgehogs, but a prickle of silvers is a grand alternative!

Sarah Brennan said...

Those quilts are fabulous Jan - and the hedgehogs are adorable. Glad the eyes are healing well. Stay safe and Happy belated WOYWW. Sarah

My name is Cindy said...

Sqeeeeek!! Those sparkly hogs are just gorgeous! Hello my lovely, sorry I'm so late but Weds just doesn't fall well for me these days. Maybe when Chelsey is on maternity leave and I don't have little splodge so much (or for such long days!!) I'll get back in the swing but just resigning myself to catching up on the w/e.
Love your quilt and thinking that either of them would look rather good as a tablecloth!! (Though I don't know about turning that into a square). Good to see that your eye op hasn't really held you back - must make an appointment myself because it will be time to renew my license before you know it.
Where does the time go!
Have a good week, love n hugs Cindyxx

Kelly said...

okay, those hedgehogs are adorable!
Love the quilt tops. I want to get back to sewing. just not enough time. Most of my crafting is how I market my writing so takes a priority. lol
Creative Blessings & Hugs!
~ Kelly #16

WOYWW 893

  RED AND YELLOW AND PINK AND GREEN... Hi everyone, welcome to another week of desky snooping! I hope you're all keeping well and are co...