WOYWW 537

WE ARE SAILING STORMY WATERS
TO BE NEAR YOU, TO BE FREE.

Firstly, I must apologise for the complete lack of commenting last week - it was just mad with too much in the diary and other things came first. I'll do better this time!

The desk:
This was the desk on Sunday when I just had to sit down and have 30 mins to myself. Elizabeth (Silverscrapper) had very kindly sent me this lovely nautical fabric and I knew that I had just the lining for it. It seemed a shame to cut it up for glasses cases, the dimensions were perfect to make a tote (which I haven't done for some time).

Happy sewing ensued - it was one of the projects that almost made itself, if you know what I mean, rather than cursing and muttering and unpicking seams!

I shared the finished article on FB to show Elizabeth what I'd done and the gorgeous Debbie Rock asked if she could buy it! Brilliant, said I, it was in the post on Monday and all the money will go towards RNLI funds.  Thank you both, wonderful ladies, I really do appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness.

I also had a play with some of my new fabric, just seeing which lining I preferred:
They all looked good but the purple wins by a head for me!

Saturday was a very special day when I was invited with 200 other folk to attend the dedication,naming and handing over of the new Atlantic 85 boat and the official opening of the new boathouse. It was the most glorious warm day and was a wonderful way to celebrate the achievements of the crew and fundraisers.

It was looking very festive down the harbour...

The boats were both outside so that the ceremony could be held in the boat hall.

Both boats, their trailers and tractor units can all be stored safely in there, whereas previously, they'd been in a few sheds.

We were entertained by the Burry Port Male Voice Choir - the National Anthems were astounding, the acoustics in there were brilliant. I know several of these gentlemen as my dad sang for 35 years with them before he passed away. I did shed a tear.....

The speeches were good, it was marvellous to see so many people appreciating what is done in the community. Even though the boat was being officially named, it had already been out on 17 shouts (or missions) and saved 19 people. Altogether this year, there have been 63 shouts with a total of 72 rescued. That is some achievement.

Then there was a parade of the two inshore boats from Burry Port with the Trent class boats (the big ones!) from Mumbles and Tenby. Even the Air/Sea Rescue helicopter got in on the act as well!

The Mumbles boat came into the harbour, having waited for a sufficient depth of water - it was massive and very impressive. If you were in trouble stuck out in the Bristol Channel you'd be happy to see one of these coming into view!  You can see that the weather was beautiful here but the true bravery of those volunteers is heading out whatever the conditions.

I'm very proud to be helping in my own small way xx

Ok, off for a haircut and then we've got a kitchen designer coming this afternoon - as if the mayhem of the bathroom wasn't enough, lol!! 

Have a great week xx




28 comments:

Helen said...

What an amazing day in glorious sunshine -so different from when these fabulous people do a lot of their work. The new boathouse looks wonderful. Glad that Debbie snapped up that gorgeous tote. Have a great week Helen #2

Sarah Brennan said...

What an impressive sight from the RNLI Jan. They do such fabulous work and just like the air ambulance all funded by charity and fund raisers such as yourself. Love the tote and glad it's going to such a good home. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

Neet said...

Oh Jan, I do not envy you one bit having a new kitchen. I love mine so much but the bedroom, although it is nice and what I wanted, is the 'thing' I hold responsible for my bad back. So I cringe when someone is having refurbs.
Loved the photos of the lifeboats - what a fabulous building. It must be lovely to be connected as you are to the RNLI. I remember my mil always supported them but have no idea what was her connection, if any,
Gorgeous tote, glad it went to a WOYWW member, that makes it even more special but the fabric was very special and the polka dots went with it perfectly.
Gosh you are clever.
Hugs, Neet 1 xx

Fonda said...

Your tote is cute! Just wanted to let you know I stopped by! I'm your fellow WOYWW friend!

Catriona said...

What a wonderful day at the Lifeboat Station-I could almost hear the choir singing. The bag is gorgeous and the lovely Debbie just beat me to buying it. I agree about the purple lining-it will really zing! A friend is coming this morning to help cut put and press as many tote bags as possible from a king sized duvet cover and sheet. Happy sewing!

Crafting Queen said...

I love your bag. I still have mine and use it all the time. Glad you had such a great day, the new boathouse is amazing. Have a great day. Anesha

Annie said...

I really loved the finished bag Jan and how lovely to see it went to such a good home. The photos of the RNLI celebrations were very special and how lovely for you to be part of it all.....well deserved.
Hugs,
Annie x #15

Glenda said...

How lovely to get a new kitchen but I don't think I'd be happy for the mess to get there! Lovely fabric and I love the bag you made. You are quite talented my friend!
Glenda #13

shazsilverwolf said...

Hiya Jan, love those photos from the Lifeboat ceremony. It's amazing when you read just how often they are needed, that they have to be funded by donations & fund raising! Bit like the Air Ambulance. The bag is gorgeous, saw Debbie snap it up! Beautiful pics, gorgeous harbour. Love and hugs to you all, XxXxXx

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Jan. beautiful sewing projects as ever. What a beautiful day for the boat handover. Sounds wonderful. Love n hugs Cindy #16

Julia Dunnit said...

The ceremony looks great...I have no connection to anything but I KNOW the choir would have made me cry. Must have been lovely to chat about your Dad with some of these folk. I don’t think I realised that the new building was a path’s width from the harbour edge on that side...doesn't it look fab. Saw the story of the bag unfolding on FB, what a result. Bit miffed tha tyou can have 30 minutes to yourself and turn out a fully lined tote bag. Takes me that long to choose a couple of stamps!!

Debbie Rock said...

So excited to see MY bag in the making! I am a huge Jan Bag fan - have got five of them now (or it could be six! 😂). Much love. Xxx

Debbie Rock said...

So excited to see MY bag in the making! I am a huge Jan Bag fan - have got five of them now (or it could be six! 😂). Much love. Xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I am so loving the bag, it's gorgeous. I should think you are proud to have been involved in such an important part of the community. Looks like you had a great day too. Have a very happy woyww, Angela x10x

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

What a lovely post Jan - I almost shed a tear too when you mentioned your dad - it must have been very emotional for you seeing his old pals there. The tote looks wonderful (well done, Debbie, for snatching it up!) and I'm sure the purple themed fabric bits will turn into something amazing as well! Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa #18

Diana Taylor said...

What lovely fabric and what a fabulous bag you made out of it. You've got a great eye for putting patterns together and I agree that the purple stripe has the edge over the others for me too. What a great day out you had and such a worthy cause too - I always shed a tear when I hear a welsh male voice choir - it's such a beautiful sound.
I hope you have a lovely week,
Hugs, Diana xx #14

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jan, after reading all your post I can see that the opening quote is so appropriate. Lovely photos of the dedication day - it must have been very moving for you. Glad to see my fabric looking so good in the bag and the proceeds going to such a good cause too. The purple would have been my choice too. Seems that there's a few of us having to say sorry for last week. Life just gets in the way, does it not? Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Elizabeth x #19

Belinda said...

Wow! I love that tote bag. I wish I knew how to sew. I love how you knew exactly what you would make with the fabric. It looks like something sold in a boutique.
I agree the purple would be a great lining on the other project.
Looks like you had a great time at a very special event. Thanks for sharing the photos and thanks for the visit earlier!
Belinda
#26

Mrs.D said...

Hi Jan, what super fabric, I love the nautical one, but the others are beautiful too. And what a very special occasion the launch of a new life boat, I have such admiration for the men who risk their lives on lifeboats, often to rescue foolish people who set out to sea ill equipped and ignorant.
Bless you for you kind comments on my desk
Chris #11

Shoshi said...

Oh Jan, another brilliant post! I loved reading about the boat house - isn't it splendid! So glad the weather was kind for your smashing day. I do so love that gorgeous nautical fabric! It's great fun and so bright and summery. Thank you for your smashing comment which really made me smile! I bought those wood blocks years ago at a craft show and haven't really used them and thought it was high time they got a proper airing! I am hoping to be able to crack the bleach problem. I've had a few good suggestions from WOYWW-ers which might work... No time over the next few days but hopefully by next Wednesday I'll be a bit further on at least.

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #17

StampinCarol said...

Love the tote and how cool that it sold so fast! And lots of gorgeous fabrics to go!
Love the rest of the photos! What an honor to be invited to the dedication! Great looking boats!
Thanks for popping by and have a great week!
Carol N #21

April said...

Love the bag - great nautical material. Great pictures of the water.
April #28

Lillianb said...

Loving the bag you have made, and the fabric is lovely, Congratulations on the new boads fab photos

Happy belated WOYWDW

Lilian B # 8

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Oh boy, Jan kitchen as well as bathroom does that mean your craft room will be dumping ground Again!..?
Love that tote with Elizabeth’s material, all for good cause, and I know for sure what it’s like to have hiccough after hiccough, so nice when something makes itself.
Happy WOYWW. Thanks for sharing, Shaz in Oz.x #20

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Jan, that bag makes me smile it looks so happy and I am not surprised at all that it sold quickly :) ~Stacy #29

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Your bag is beautiful! I've never been to a boat dedication, but it looks like a lot of fun. Happy belated WOYWW!

Lindart said...

I love the bag! I would buy that in a heartbeat (even though I have a dozen other ones!)The ceremonies sound awesome, I can feel your heart swelling from here! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble finding the time to comment last week!Thanks for your visit, and Happy Belated WOYWW! Lindart #25

Twiglet said...

Better late than never! Just chilling for an hour after a hectic Ben Birthday weekend. What a fab celebration/ceremony for the RNLI there Jan - very special and so lovely for you to be part of it. Your bag looks lovely and I'm sure Debbie will be very pleased with it. I went for the purple lining for your other project too - it just seemed to pop out didn't it. xx Jo

WOYWW 769

 WE'LL MEET AGAIN.... I'm going to take a break from blogging for a while - please don't worry, all is ok! - think I just need a...