WOYWW 764

 ARE YOU SITTING COMFORTABLY?

THEN I'LL BEGIN....

I'd like to tell you a story today, a tale all about scraps of fabric and yarn.

In common with many deskers I can't abide waste and, though generous in life, I'm as mean and Scroogey as you like when it comes to using up 100% of stash.

It started with the pile of fabric strips I shared last week and had roughly laid out in the zigzag pattern. My mate Kim loved the colours so I thought I'd make the quilt for her but in the diamond formation.

So I laid out the squares again - the landing is a perfect size for this then got to work in the JanCave:


The best bit of quilting advice I've ever seen is to number your rows so you don't (a) get your rows mixed up and (b) don't turn the rows upside down (easy to do when everything is on the diagonal!)  Sew six squares into a row then sew the eight rows together and you end up with:


I'd already checked if there were any errors that leapt out colourwise.

Then came the making of the border - I cut out lots of 3" strips of a black with white spot as I thought that would frame it well.


And made about 14 metres of it ( I always err on the side of caution as you definitely don't want to run short). You iron it in half all the way along then attach it to the back of the quilt following an awesome YouTube tutorial by Stacey Lee Creative!


Then fold it over to the front and stitch it down, complete with mitred corners (ooh, get me!) I turned my machine around so the table could take the weight of the quilt, it's single bed sized and was quite heavy. The walking foot helped keep everything tickety boo - I was very pleased with the result and, most importantly, Kim loved it too!


In the evenings, I joined together all those granny squares whilst watching tv:


It looks all wonky in the pic but was actually quite straight!! This will be going to the Family Centre in town.


This pleases me a lot, something beautiful made from the tag ends of fabric and yarn - very satisfying!!

And there you have it, The Tale of Two Blankets. I'm going to move on something smaller now, lol!

Sending big hugs and love to Neet, who took a bit of a tumble at home and is very sore indeed. Rest up lovely gal, we all send our best wishes to you, get better soon xx

Have a lovely week everyone, hope your crafting is stress free xx




13 comments:

Helen said...

What gorgeous pieces of work, both of them, and I am sure the family centre will be very grateful for the crocheted one. Sorry to hear about Neet. Happy WOYWW Helen #1

Sarah Brennan said...

Love both those blankets Jan. Great way to use up scraps. I spotted a wool cafe about to open in Uttoxeter yesterday as I was out and about and thought of you. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

Twiglet said...

The most perfect bit of up cycling Jan. Both equally beautiful.I am sure they will be well loved and well used too. Hope the storms haven't been too disruptive. x x Jo

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Brilliant completion and a great way to use the left-overs. Someone is going to be very lucky to receive these. Happy woyww and hugs too Angela x8x

Lynnecrafts said...

I loved your tale of two quilts, Jan. Kim will treasure that. Your granny square quilt is wonderful m, especially as I know how little you like sewing up! The white border really sets it off and a family will be very glad of that.
I hope you’re not getting blasted by the latest storm over there. We’ve had power cuts round the village several times this week, but it’s been over night so not bad.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 9 xx

BJ said...

Absolutely gorgeous two blankets read in a "listen with mother" voice. The colours of both are fantastic, the fabrics are super scrumptious. Love the numbering system. Hugs BJ#10

Annie said...

Such a good use of scraps and left overs Jan....Love them both.
Hugs,
Annie x #6

Catriona said...

Love both the quilts but the patchwork fabric is my favourite! Catriona

Lindart said...

You have been busy! I love the quilt, I'm glad your friend likes it too! It looks great on the bed. Your crocheted blanket remindas me of one that my huuby and I made for my Dad. I made the squares, Hubby sewed them together. It was a lovely joint effort. Several years later when he passes, and my brother was taking stock of everything, he took it for himself, saying that our Mom made it, and he should have it. No matter how often I told him, no, we made it, he wouldn't believe us. My Mom doesn't even crochet! Oh well, I guess he liked it...Have a great week, Lindart #14

Neet said...

Thanks for your well wishes Jan. I don't know what is the matter with me I just keep falling asleep mid sentence.
Those quilts are gorgeous, you are like my mum was, using up every little bit of fabric she could. I remember finding some bits from my party dresses in her quilting. Wisch I could sew like mum could, she'd run up a dress in next to no time for me - no pattern.
Those rich ruby cushions look fabulous with that quilt. Is that the one in your friend's room?
Hugs, Neet 12 xx

Crafting With Jack said...

Both the quilt and the blanket look wonderful. Happy WOYWW. Angela #11

Mary Anne said...

Stunning! You should be pleased - I am in awe. That B&W dotty border just sets the whole thing off so nicely. I love B&W with brights. And the granny squares are fab as well. You do so much good with all your charity work. Tale of two blankets, 1000 eyeglass cases, 800 peg bags, 2000 ... :D
Happy WOYWW Day+2 - I don't know WHY Weds. are always full of commitments!
Mary Anne (3)

Eva said...

Dear Jan!
I love it, when you tell me a tale.
And what a wonderful tale about two wonderful blankets.
And you used your stash so well!
I can't get enough of it.
Thanks for sharing.
Eva from Austria.

WOYWW 769

 WE'LL MEET AGAIN.... I'm going to take a break from blogging for a while - please don't worry, all is ok! - think I just need a...